A job at the zoo is not going to be an ordinary boring job. Every day, you will experience something different as you care for these adorable animals in their own habitat. If you ever wanted to try something different or you are a zoologist, there may be a job waiting for you at the San Diego Zoo. Keep reading…
New San Diego Zoo Jobs
About San Diego Zoo Jobs
Have you ever wondered what a position would be like in a zoo? You most likely picture animals playing, eating, and waiting for attention. The San Diego zoo hires professionals who want to become a part in protecting wildlife from around the world. They need someone who is committed to take every opportunity to learn more about the animals and engage with the animals lovingly.
Those who are hired at San Diego Zoo will become part of a professional organization that can adjust to the many challenges that will come there way. Wildlife can sometimes be unpredictable, and they need someone who is going to maintain a safe environment for the animal, for the professionals who work at the zoo, and the public.
Who’s A Good Fit?
To work at the San Diego Zoo, it is important that you are able to handle the following:
- Animal behavior – While you will be trained on this more after being hired, animal behavior is going to be something that you must learn and learn quickly in order to do your job effectively.
- Know basic animal biology and zoology – You will need to know everything about the animals in order to give them the best care.
- Provide care, feeding, and handling – Because each animal is different, it’s important that you know how to provide care to each species. You will also need to learn each animal’s diet and how to handle them in and out of their cage.
- Learn safety practice while working with wild animals – You must be able to stay safe, keep other zoo employees safe, and the public safe by learning and practicing best practice safety techniques in that environment.
- How to restrain or capture an animal when necessary – If an animal gets out, it’s not always easy to catch them safely and get them back into their cage. You will be instructed on how to do this without harming the animal, without getting hurt in the process, and while keeping the public safe.
- Public speaking is a must – You will be talking to guests visiting the zoo. You must know everything there is to know about your animal so that you can educate and entertain your multitude of guests.
When it comes to perks, San Diego Zoo has them.
Here are just some of the perks employees get when they become a member of the team:
- Family passes to the zoo
- Free admission to the zoo including the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Complimentary tickets to pass out to friends and family
- Local and in-house discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness program
- Retirement plan
- Pension plan
If you want a change of pace in your everyday routine, why not consider a job that has you working with animals that depend on you for all their basic needs. You will feel like a part of the team from the very beginning with the San Diego Zoo.